Bruschetta Italiana


April showers brings May flowers, right? I hope so. Over here we have been experiencing very indecisive weather lately, Sunday was warm and beautiful and today it's cold and grey. I thought I moved away from indecisive weather when I left Portland, did it follow me here? 

In a little over a week my Aunt will be visiting me here and she is the first family member to make the trek out here and I am so overly excited for her to be here! She has never been to Italy and I can't wait to show her all I know. My Aunt is the best party-hostess around, she always gives 110% when it comes to parties and it shows, they are absolutely fabulous. I was thinking about Easter and how it is this month and thought I would share a little recipe of mine for a nice quick appetizer. Whenever I host a dinner party I love to have plenty of appetizers for the guests to munch on while I am finishing the dinner meal to keep them occupied (and to keep them out of my kitchen) I am one of those people that don't really like people hanging in the kitchen disturbing my organized system. Don't get me wrong, I greatly appreciate the offer though. Am I alone on this? Am I the mean kitchen cook lady?

Back to food. 

One of my favorite things to serve for an appetizer is bruschette; little portion sized toasted bread with different toppings. This particular time I had chosen a pesto, goat cheese with herbs and a tomato spread. After I was done I had noticed I had unintentionally displayed it to resemble the Italian flag. Seriously, it was not intentional. I only wish I had done it on purpose so I could take credit for the creativity points. 




Bruschetta Italiana

1 baguette cut into slices and toasted until brown under the broiler at 400°F (200°C)

Goat Cheese Spread 
roll of goat cheese (in any shape) 
1 tablespoon minced fresh thyme 
1 tablespoon minced fresh basil 
1 tablespoon dried oregano 
salt and pepper for seasoning 
Mix all the ingredients together until combined.

Pesto Spread 
Large bunch of fresh basil leaves 
1 oz Pecorino cheese 
2 oz Parmigiano Reggiano cheese
1/2 ounce of pine nuts 
2 garlic cloves 
7 tablespoon olive oil 
salt for seasoning 
You can either use a mortar and pestle or a food processor. Grind all the ingredients well except for the olive oil. After is it finely incorporated together, slowly add the olive oil. 

Tomato Spread 
1 small package of red grape tomatoes 
1 small package of yellow grape tomatoes
2 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil 
salt and pepper
Cut the tomatoes into little pieces and add the olive oil, salt and pepper and stir until combined. 



No comments:

Post a Comment